TYMCO Sweepers and the Environment
Protecting the environment is critical to the sustainability of our planet and the conservation of precious natural resources. TYMCO recognizes its responsibility to that sustainability and continually strives to reduce the environmental impact of the sweepers we build and the work we do.
Throughout the design process, our engineers are driven to do more with less. In the beginning, doing more with less was purely to satisfy our desire to keep things as simple as possible, but today that process also leads to a smaller environmental footprint. Our designs also help to optimize the useful life of our sweepers, minimize the use of water for dust control and reduce fuel consumption.
Do More With Less
- In designing the TYMCO Model 500x, our engineers utilized a digital multiplex electrical system primarily to make troubleshooting the sweeper easier for service technicians and to reduce the amount of wiring needed to operate the 500x by several hundred feet.
- We engineer components to be as light as possible not only to reduce fuel consumption by the truck chassis, but also to make it easier for service technicians to replace parts if necessary. Those same components are designed to be modular when possible, which not only makes the sweeper easier to work on, but also decreases the amount of welding needed, which in turn saves energy and the gases required during fabrication.
- TYMCO Regenerative Air Sweepers use the least amount of water for dust control when compared to any other sweeper types mainly because of our centrifugal dust separator which removes the majority of fines from the air stream before the air is recycled. Water nozzles are specified that control airborne dust instead of wetting the material as it lays on the ground, which often creates mud that can be smeared on the surface and left behind.
- Our engineers take several other aspects into account when designing for better dust control such as air flow direction, velocity and other opportunities to separate out as much dust before the air reaches the dust separator.
* Our sweepers are AQMD Rule 1186 certified
The TYMCO Model DST-4® and Model DST-6® not only remove dirt, dust, and debris from the sweeping surface, they also clean the exhausted air to 99.999% of 0.5 micron size particles. TYMCO's patented filtration system enables these sweepers to be equally efficient in wet or dry conditions, so you don't have to avoid puddles and leave debris behind. Our DST System when coupled with our Regenerative Air System produces the most technologically advanced street sweeper available today. Both our DST-4 and DST-6 set the performance standards for particulate matter removal in the U.S. and Canada.
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
The CNG option is available as a dedicated unit, where both the sweeper and the truck chassis are CNG powered on the Model 600, Model HSP, and Model 500x.
Building the #1 Regenerative Air Sweeper includes considering the environmental footprint of the materials that go into their creation. Our continued goal is to reduce or restrict environmentally damaging substances. Using recyclable materials reduces the amount of waste going into landfills and provides opportunities for a useful life beyond being part of a TYMCO sweeper.
- We Powder Coat as many parts as possible, and use Low VOC Acrylic Paints in other areas.
- We use recyclable plastics to make it easier to recycle as much of our sweeper as possible when it has reached the end of its useful life.
- We use reprocessed polyethylene for abrasion liners throughout the sweeper.
- Our engineers continue to make efforts to use reprocessed materials when possible.
TYMCO's manufacturing facilities truly reflect TYMCO's culture and drive to not only keep things simple but also be as efficient as possible. For example, we recycle paper, paperboard and metals that are used throughout our manufacturing facilities and offices. We also reuse/recycle packaging materials. TYMCO invested in an onsite CNG fueling station for testing, development and operation of alternative fuel sweepers.